Chatham Town FC v Sheppey United FC – Saturday 29th May 2021 – The Bauvill Stadium

Chatham Town v Sheppey United
Preparing the 3G pitch before kick off.

This was my first visit of 2021 to the Bauvill Stadium and I came to see Chatham play in the post lockdown “mini tournament” that had been set up to include some strong local sides from the Southern Counties East Football League. The teams involved were; Chatham Town, Sheppey United, Rochester United, Punjab United and Lordswood.

Programme for the post lockdown tournament. A really nice idea to give players some match experience going into the summer, to keep fans involved and to generate some much needed income.
New standing at the Bauvill.

The Bauvill stadium was well prepared for this potential table topping game between two of the Southern Counties East Football League’s (Premier Division) top two sides of the past two years. (With Corinthian FC now having been promoted).

A beach bar had been set up pitch side. This was popular with fans and the quality of the stadium and the facilities really reflects well on the non league football experience of the modern time. The club had all the Covid security checks in place and I got to the ground (parking free) early at around 1.30 pm. Tickets were £5 for this match and it drew a crowd of 687.

The Chatham Beach bar, pitchside.
Complete with its own sandy beach.

The Bauvill is a great stadium and the club felt relaxed and welcoming. Players and staff chatted with spectators before the game.

Relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.
Sheppey United players warm up prior to kick off.

It was a really warm afternoon and as I sat waiting for the game to begin, it was just nice to hear the voices of others and to feel what it is like to be part of a decent crowd of people in a football ground again.

Pre match atmosphere at the Bauvill

There were no programmes today but the Chatham Twitter page published today’s side;

Chatham Town FC

Within minutes of the kick off a brutal Chatham challenge on the left hand side led to a free kick which gave Sheppey United an early chance.

Early free kick wasted.

Sheppey regretted the wasted chance when on eight minutes, the Chatham Town number seven, Lawal, broke on the right to create a cross, for a simple tap in, which Jack Evans put away to make it 1-0.

Chatham celebrate making it 1-0.

On 14 minutes Danny Leonard for Sheppey, broke away and confidently took the ball to the left of the area before firing it into the corner to make it 1-1.

Sheppey United make it 1-1.
Sheppey celebrate as they go 1-2 up.

On 29 minutes a slip by a Chatham defender, let Harrison Carnegie in for Sheppey United, and he finished clinically, to put them 2-1 up.

Chatham pushed hard for an equaliser before half time with Dan Bradshaw going close, on 40 minutes.

A missed first half Chatham opportunity.

The game erupted aggressively, just on the stroke of half time, when a bad challenge by a Chatham defender scythed through one of the Sheppey players. The players got into a melee, of pushing and shoving, before the referee calmed things and produced a yellow card for the Chatham defender. The sides went into break shortly after, with Chatham trailing 1-2.

Chatham came out, with all guns firing, after the break and equalised on 50 minutes with a second goal, turned in by a Sheppey defender, under pressure from the Chatham forward line.

Bodkin makes it 2-2

On 52 minutes, Chatham regained the lead from a penalty. Jack Evans finishing for his second and a 3-2 lead.

A minute later, a cross from the right, led to a clinical headed goal from the Sheppey United number nine, Jack Midson, to put the scores level again at 3-3.

Sheppey celebrate their third goal.

Chatham hadn’t let that affect them and on 68 minutes, they went back in front, 4-3, with Jack Evan’s hat-trick goal.

Yet again Sheppey United wouldn’t give in and on 74 minutes they equalised, making it 4-4 with another Midson goal.

Midson, Sheppey United’s double goal scorer.

Neither side would settle for the draw, with both going close to getting a fifth.

Chatham push first.
Sheppey go close too.

In the last minute Chatham created a chance to secure the winning fifth goal but the chance flew wide.

A last chance.

As the whistle blew the crowd knew they’d seen quite a match. This may well be the final when it is played here on the 22nd June.

Full time 4-4

7 Comments Add yours

  1. John Sawh says:

    Top drawer commentary. Hope the mini bar open! Have a good break matt j

    Liked by 1 person

    1. mattbritt69 says:

      Cheers John. You too 👍👍


  2. philthesnapper says:

    Another report I’ve enjoyed reading Thanks

    Liked by 1 person

    1. mattbritt69 says:


      Thanks. It was an action packed game!!


  3. footballwritingblog says:

    Nice work Matt, that sounded quite a game!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. mattbritt69 says:

      It was really entertaining. Thanks for the complement.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s