Canterbury City v Tunbridge Wells FC – Friday 29th October 2021 – Aquatherm Stadium

This Southern Counties East Football League, Premier Division match, had been rescheduled for a Friday evening.

Aquatherm Stadium

Canterbury City have been groundsharing with Faversham Town, of the Isthmian League, and the lack of income they can access through this arrangement had led them to announce they would be leaving the league, only last month, before a donor stepped in to guarantee they could continue until at least the end of the current season. The Canterbury manager, Chris Woollcott, has a plea for funding, added to his page, in the Match day programme.

Courtesy Canterbury City FC Match day programme.

This is a real mid table battle, with one of the teams having the potential to lift themselves towards the top ten places. Canterbury City have fifteen points from thirteen games and sit in eleventh place. One place higher are Tunbridge Wells with sixteen points from ten games. Tunbridge Wells have a positive goal difference of six, whereas Canterbury City face a negative goal difference of nine, due in no small part to a 7-1 defeat against Sheppey, earlier in the season.

The SCEFL Premier league table, just prior to kick off. (Courtesy of the SCEFL website)

Matt Gething is Tunbridge Wells FC’s top scorer with seven league goals in nine games. Sam Lawford, with three goals in ten league games, is the current top scorer for Canterbury City.

Changing facilities at the Aquatherm Stadium

The Aquatherm stadium has a large covered and seated stand alongside the pitch, a covered standing area behind one of the goals and a clubhouse. Floodlighting is good. car Parking is decent and free. Entrance cost £8 and there was a good match day programme available for £2.

Prematch warm up.

Both teams looked to have strong sides out. Matt Gething started for Tunbridge Wells and with two goals in three games, Josh Strouts started for Canterbury City.

Tunbridge Wells team
(Courtesy of club Twitter account)
Teams enter the pitch.
Canterbury City Team
(Courtesy of club Twitter account)
Tunbridge Wells in all blue kit and Canterbury in a maroon kit.

In the opening 15 minutes both sides had chances that appeared to cross the line and open the scoring. Tunbridge Wells had a chance from a corner and Canterbury City’s came after a free kick. However on 19 minutes, Tunbridge Wells actually broke the deadlock, with a well taken goal by top scorer, Matt Gething.

Tunbridge Wells celebrate at 0-1

After ten minutes of pressure from Canterbury City, Tunbridge Wells broke free on 30 minutes for Connor Pring to score, following a pass from Matt Gething, to make it 0-2.


On 36 minutes the score was 0-3 with Frankie Griffin driving the ball home, from the edge of the penalty area, to put Tunbridge Wells in the driving seat.


The second half was more of an even battle with Canterbury City creating chances but failing to capitalise. Tom Cousins, at the back for Canterbury City, stepped up and ensured his side made Tunbridge Wells fight for every ball.

The fourth goal came in the 78th minute when Miles Cornwall turned and finished from close range to round off a fine evening for Tunbridge Wells.


At the final whistle Tunbridge Wells left the pitch knowing they had earned all three points, with some fine finishing. Canterbury may have felt the score line was not a fair reflection of the chances they created tonight but they lacked the ability to take their chances.

Final handshakes.

3 Comments Add yours

  1. John Sawh says:

    Canterbury tailed !

    Liked by 1 person

    1. mattbritt69 says:

      I’m loving the pun!!


  2. John Sawh says:


    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s