Chatham Town V Sheppey United – Thursday 24th June 2021 – The Bauvill Stadium

It was a warm June evening, although grey and overcast, at the Bauvill stadium for the final of the post lockdown tournament. A month ago I had watched these teams draw 4-4 in the group stages.

The teams warm up before the game.
Chatham named a full strength team. Image courtesy of Chatham Town FC Twitter account.
Sheppey brought their star player, Jack Midson, back into the team for today’s final. Image courtesy of Sheppey United FC Twitter page.

Kick off was delayed until 8.00 pm due to latecomers in the crowd still accessing the ground. When the teams came out it looked to be a crowd of over 1000 watching this final, as the teams played for the Kent Non League Podcast Trophy.

The teams enter the arena. Chatham in red shirts and white shorts and Sheppey in Blue shirts and white shorts.
Chatham first half pressure

The first half was well fought, seeing plenty of chances for both sides but no goals. Sheppey hit the bar on 38 minutes and immediately, in response, Chatham’s number 12 went through on goal but failed to score.

Jack Evans takes a shot for Chatham Town
Chatham’s best chance of the first half.
Sheppey attack.

Both sides went into the break with the final still in the balance.

Sheppey push to score first in the second half

On 55 minutes it was Chatham Town who opened the scoring, with the pressure they put on the Sheppey defence forcing an own goal.

1-0 and the fans celebrate!
A huge crowd made for a noisy atmosphere behind the goal.
Chatham defend a corner.

On 79 minutes Chatham conceded a penalty, with a careless trip in the box. The spot kick was converted, with aplomb, by Midson, the Sheppey United captain.

1-1, with an equaliser from the spot.

Both sides had chances to win as they threw everything forward in the final minutes. On 88 minutes a bad challenge led to tempers spilling over with a short melee on the pitch. The referee stamped his authority, brandishing a card to calm the mood.

Anger erupts

As the whistle blew for full time, with the scores tied at 1-1, both teams gathered together before going into extra time.

In extra time Bradshaw put Chatham in front before Sheppey again equalised, this time through Warren Mfula, with minutes left. With the scores locked at 2-2, the game went to penalties.

Bradshaw battles into extra time.

Chatham missed one and then Sheppey, but the finishing was so good, that after 8 penalties, the score was tied at 7-7. Then it happened and after Chatham made it 8-7, Sheppey finally missed a penalty. After a tournament providing three matches between the teams resulting in 14 goals, the teams were, in the end, only separated by one penalty in 16. Chatham secured the trophy and celebrated wildly.

Chatham Town FC in the penalty shoot out. (Image courtesy of the Chatham Town FC Twitter account)

While tonight Chatham celebrated, both they and Sheppey will look forward to an exciting upcoming SCEFL league season, where they will surely be favourites to dual for the league title. The fact that the match drew a mid week crowd of 1087, reflected the popularity of non league football in Kent and the quality of both teams.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s